Writing is something that I only recently discovered to be my passion. And yet, I still do not know if I want it to be a passion. See, the thing that puts me into this gridlock is contributed by many factors. Like the fact that I may not think I am good enough, the fact the writing industry is plummeting, or the fact that no one in my family wants me to become a writer and are just too kind to say otherwise. I mean, I do understand their concern because of the other reasons I listed beforehand, but I worry because what if it is true? I mean what if I am not a good enough writer, or what if AI takes over media before I even have the chance to graduate? Not saying that AI is not already taking over the world, but I hate to be the one to break it to you, it practically is.
Is this something that other younger writers deal with as well? Resentment from others about wanting to actually take writing seriously as a career? The feeling of thinking that you are not good enough compared to others?— And that is another worry: the feeling that you are not better than someone else, but it is only because that they do not try to hone that skill. Is that too specific? Because sometimes I wonder if my peers, the ones that are pretty more-than-decent- writers, are better at it then me, as someone who wants to make it their career, but they do not focus on improving it as much as I do. It is like they could if they wanted to, but they just do not. Instead they spend their time on a more advancing vocation, like something along the lines of STEM.
I wanted to use this post as an opportunity to discuss the fact that everyone, including me, has struggles and doubts when writing, but I also wanted to take it as another opportunity to discuss and ask others if they go through this too.
1 comment:
I think this is (and unfortunately will continue to be) a very common feeling amongst most, if not all humanity students. That said, I also think now more than ever is the time to go for it. We're in the middle of a huge crisis and art is sought more than ever. Music, movies, writing- everyone wants an escape. What I'm saying is- everything is so bad everywhere you might as well pursue what makes you happiest. As for your worry about skill- it really doesn't matter how good you are as long as you continue to improve. An incredibly doable task in my opinion. There will always be someone better than you at everything but it's no reason to quit, especially before you've even started. There will also always be someone who is twice as good with five times less effort, something I've learned in college. Doesn't mean you won't succeed though. You learn to live with it as a fact of life and you continue moving. Overstated but definitely true; Do what makes you happy. You're the only one living your life after all.
Post a Comment